Re: Seeing the forrest from the BTCs

On 01/20/2015 04:36 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> I like the separation of legacy finance and future finance.  But the
> charter is heavily slanted to legacy finance.  Bitcoin or crypto
> currencies are mentioned nowhere by the editors.  In theory the
> specs are neutral to the currency, but for me there's an editorial
> bias there.

I'm assuming you mean this group, because the Web Payments IG mentions
enabling cryptocurrencies in various sections in their official W3C
charter. :)

We stayed away from mentioning cryptocurrencies because of this line:

"""
Technologies that are vital for the proper operation of the solutions
listed above, but that are not incubated via any other standardization
body under a W3C-compatible licensing mechanism.
"""

"Technologies that are vital" is basically anything anyone in this group
thinks is important to work on and is willing to spend the time to write
a spec and do an implementation of their idea. This group does
experimental work and should be far more wild west than the official W3C
Web Payments IG.

As for the existing specs, they don't say anything about Bitcoin and
cryptocurrencies because we haven't had the spare bandwidth to integrate
them yet. We've always hoped that someone would step forward and do the
hard work necessary in both the specs and the implementations to make
this happen, but it hasn't happened yet. Would love it if it did. Or,
come up with a competing set of specs - we'd love that too (there is no
better way to harvest fresh ideas and put the current specs through the
ringer than that). :)

> It's just not 100% clear the overlap of this work and the specs
> produced.  I'll definitely be trying to reuse as much of she specs
> produced here as possible.  But I dont know how to make bitcoin more
> prominent in this group other than to create implementations.

+1, that's exactly how you do it. Write a spec, do an implementation.
It's the only way stuff gets traction around here. :)