Re: Seeing the forrest from the BTCs

On 21 January 2015 at 06:34, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 01/20/2015 04:36 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > I like the separation of legacy finance and future finance.  But the
> > charter is heavily slanted to legacy finance.  Bitcoin or crypto
> > currencies are mentioned nowhere by the editors.  In theory the
> > specs are neutral to the currency, but for me there's an editorial
> > bias there.
>
> I'm assuming you mean this group, because the Web Payments IG mentions
> enabling cryptocurrencies in various sections in their official W3C
> charter. :)
>
> We stayed away from mentioning cryptocurrencies because of this line:
>
> """
> Technologies that are vital for the proper operation of the solutions
> listed above, but that are not incubated via any other standardization
> body under a W3C-compatible licensing mechanism.
> """
>
> "Technologies that are vital" is basically anything anyone in this group
> thinks is important to work on and is willing to spend the time to write
> a spec and do an implementation of their idea. This group does
> experimental work and should be far more wild west than the official W3C
> Web Payments IG.
>
> As for the existing specs, they don't say anything about Bitcoin and
> cryptocurrencies because we haven't had the spare bandwidth to integrate
> them yet. We've always hoped that someone would step forward and do the
> hard work necessary in both the specs and the implementations to make
> this happen, but it hasn't happened yet. Would love it if it did. Or,
> come up with a competing set of specs - we'd love that too (there is no
> better way to harvest fresh ideas and put the current specs through the
> ringer than that). :)

Great, is exactly what I'm working on.  We already have started work on an
ontology.  I have modelled bitcoin already but not yet ripple.

The basic crypto currency work flow is actually very simple.

My current focus is a layer on top of the block chain to allow transactions
to scale from 5 per second to about 50,000 per second using a commodity
server.

Will write things up over the course of the year.