Re: W3C Web Payments Use Cases 1.0 first public draft

On 19 April 2015 at 21:43, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net> wrote:

> [...]
> famous book by Kuhn that you may all know ('The Structure of Scientific
> Revolutions'), but I believe the quote is particularly germane here, as
> a comment on all of the above: --It's actually Kuhn quoting Max Planck
> -- in science, it doesn't get any more canonical than this:
>
> "...Max Planck, surveying his own career in his *Scientific
> Autobiography*, sadly remarked that "a new scientific truth does not
> triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but
> rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation
> grows up that is familiar with it.[ref]"
> [ref: Max Planck, *Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers*, trans.
> F. Gaynor (New York, 1949), pp. 33-34.]
>
> I suspect that this insight also holds for technologies, money
> systems...(and religions, but we don't need to go there, thankfully).
>
> I also suspect that the blockchain/ledger is providing such a core
> level paradigm shift. And if so we can expect pretty much a whole
> generation of entrenched people to ignore, fight, criticize, belittle,
> and prosecute it during their lifetimes.
>
> If so, then Manu is right to worry about going to jail...and, not
> necessarily right to stake a great deal on getting the two paradigms
> to play nicely together, which may never happen. One may merely
> supplant the other as the appropriate people retire or die out.
>
> And in terms of Adrian's request for Melvin and I to become part of
> the conversation of the Task Force in the IG at the W3C... my response
> is similar. I had an experience with the W3C several years ago in
> which I was bruised by a similar entrenchment -- because after all W3C
> is funded (and the HTML5 committee I was submitting to was chaired) by
> the large companies profiting in the old paradigm.
>
> So I don't expect a conversation around the P2P payments and the more
> revolutionary aspects of the blockchain (universal voting, tax-free
> money transfers) to flower in W3C -- at least not at the core level of
> disruption that these things are likely to bring to our society.
>
> And there's also a part of me that accepts this, that says: "none of
> us really know if the new paradigm is in fact superior." What money I
> have is still in banks. ;-)
>
> And the owner of my local health-food store, a rash and progressive
> young man (he accepts bitcoin, and even has a bitcoin dispenser
> machine beside the cash), was telling me yesterday that two years ago
> he had lots of people paying with Bitcoin -- and then it all stopped,
> and no-one has bought anything in Bitcoin in the last 9 months.
>
> So even if it's a paradigm shift, it's not clear that it's in
> currency, or even in money. It may be in decision-making of some form
> (which money can be used for), but what form? Will those of us who
> grew up in the old paradigm even understand it -- even recognize it
> when we see it? Even Einstein rejected core aspects of quantum
> mechanics that are now the accepted paradigm. ;-)

Lots of good points, it's hard to evaluate disruptive technologies when
they are in the process of being built, future generations may see it more
clearly.

Bitcoin is excellent for payments, but has poor scalability.

The web has excellent scalabilitly, but is poor for payments.

At this point in time there's almost no work being done at the
intersection, which is quite amazing, if you think of how early we are in
the lifetime of both bitcoin and the web.

I think with w3c work the primary driver is who's willing to do productive
work.

Creating use case is a low bar to entry (im sure we could all think of a
few), but writing ontologies, specs, libraries, implementations,
evangelization that arise from those cases is a huge amount of work, and
it's understandable digital bazaar want to work on manageable chunks.

I think the primary driver here is resources, so it would be good given
those constraints to try and be productive, by having the right
conversations in the right place.