Re: W3C Web Payments Use Cases 1.0 first public draft

On 04/16/2015 03:45 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 16 April 2015 at 18:53, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com
> <mailto:msporny@digitalbazaar.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey folks,
>
>     The first public working draft of the W3C Web Payments Use Cases has
>     just been published:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/4616?pk_campaign=feed&pk_kwd=first-public-working-draft-web-payments-use-cases-1-0
>
>     There's a blog post here covering the release:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/blog/wpig/2015/04/16/web-payments-use-cases-fpwd/
>
>     A good chunk of the Credentials CG's work has been integrated into the
>     document, the rest is slated to be integrated during the next two
>     months.
>
>     This is very important progress. It demonstrates that the Web Payments
>     Interest Group is functioning in a healthy way, is producing relevant
>     material, and is moving quickly.
>
>     Thanks to all in this group that helped make this happen over the past
>     4+ years.
>
>     Review comments from this group are requested. Instructions on how to
>     provide feedback can be found here:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-web-payments-use-cases-20150416/#sotd
>

> Thanks for sharing and all the effort you've put in. Congrats on
> getting this far!
>
> I've been prototyping and testing, a pure web standards based payment
> system, and am at a point where I'm processing about 250,000 payments
> a year, which is small scale in financial terms, but I have found
> quite useful as a learning experience.
>
> What I have found is over 99% of the payments so far, I've been
> working on are a very simple use case, namely:
>
> Alice pays Bob <amount> <currency>
>
> Would this be considered part of section A -- "Future Work"?  Or is
> this kind of payment covered in an existing use case, because the ones
> I looked at all look more like purchases than payments.
>
> I'm slightly sure where my work fits into the intersection of the IG /
> CG / WG, or if it intersects at all.

The Web Payments Use Cases document is organized into the "Phases" of
making a payment. Each micro use case (for which there are many more to
be added to the document), should fit into these phases. Not every step
of each phase needs to be executed (some are optional depending on the
type of payment). Here's an example that analyzes how Alice would pay
Bob (person-to-person):

Phase 1:

Agreement on Terms - payer and payee agree on
   - what will be purchased: "happiness"
   - for how much: "amount"
   - in what currency: "btc"
   - which payment schemes are accepted: "BitCoin"

Phase 2:

Discovery of Accepted Schemes - bitcoin
Selection of Payment Instruments - bitcoin
Authentication to Access Instruments - bitcoin private key

Phase 3:

Initiation of Processing - payer initiates payment
Verification of Available Funds - bitcoin protocol
Authorization of Transfer - bitcoin protocol
Completion of Transfer - bitcoin protocol

Phase 4:

Delivery of Product - money has bought happiness
Delivery of Receipt - receipt has been delivered

IMO, obvious minimal targets for standardization: payment request and
payment receipt.

I believe this case fits nicely into the use cases framework.

--
Dave Longley
CTO