Re: Apple Pay

On 09/18/2014 09:59 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Your response is a little confusing here. Remember the view point
> you held re. Nigeria+Mastercard obliteration of privacy for all
> Nigerian citizens.

It might be confusing because we're miscommunicating. :)

What exactly is confusing about my response?

> Look, Apple is using their clout to make a better ecosystem for
> handling payments. I don't see how anything produced on the standards
> front would be contrary to Apple's long-term goals in regards to
> payments. Note, they always leverage industry standards in their
> solutions, in many cases better than all of their competitors.

Apple leverages industry standards in a way that wraps a proprietary
layer or silo around them. Again, good on Apple - it's led to them being
a well respected technology company. That approach, however, is not our
approach - we're not trying to create a silo. Apple /may/ create a silo
around the Web Payments stuff, and that's fine, but I'd imagine it would
be in a larger non-silo'ed Web Payments ecosystem.

> Lesson #1 will be that Apple Pay isn't a closed system.

Then PayPal, Square, and Stripe can integrate with Apple Pay w/o the
blessing of Apple?

What's your definition of "closed system"?

> Ultimately, Bitcoins will rule, that's where the expanse of the Web
> will ultimately kick-in and totally inflect everything :-)

Ultimately, a set of standards will come along that tie in Apple Pay,
Google Wallet, Square, and Bitcoin together in a way that brings about a
much better experience wrt. exchanging value via the Web. That's what
we're trying to do here w/ the Web Payments work.