Re: Building Linked Data into the Core of the Web

On 9/12/14 10:49 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Keynote from SemTech 2014 about building Linked Data into the core of
> the Web with a major focus on Web Payments and Credentials. This video
> may help those that don't understand how the Linked Data aspect of the
> work we're doing here fits into the larger roadmap for the Web's
> architecture.
>
> Unfortunately, you have to register (free) to view the video.
>
> Building Linked Data into the Core of the Web
> http://video.dataversity.net/video/building-linked-data-into-the-core-of-the-web/
>
> -- manu
Manu,

It is misleading (albeit inadvertent in regards to your post above) to
infer that Linked Data isn't already the core of the Web. The absolute
fact of the matter is that Linked Data has been the core of the Web
since it was an idea [1][2].

The Web doesn't work at all if HTTP URIs aren't names for:

[1] What exists on the Web
[2] What exists, period.

We just have the misfortune of poor communications mucking up proper
comprehension of AWWW. For example, RDF should have been presented to
the world as an effort by the W3C to standardize an existing aspect of
the Web i.e., the ability to leverage HTTP URIs as mechanisms for:

1. entity identification & naming
2. entity description using sentence or statements -- where (as is the
case re., natural language) a sentence or statement is comprised of a
subject, predicate, and object.

Instead, we ended up with an incomprehensible, indefensible, and at best
draconian narrative that has forever tainted the letters "R-D-F" . And
HttpRange-14 as a censorship tool (based on its ridiculous history),
that blurs fixing this horrible state of affairs.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/10Y9FL1 -- Evidence that Linked Data was always at the
core of the Web (excuse some instability on my personal data space
instance, at this point in time, should you encounter issues looking up
the document identified by this HTTP URI)

[2]
http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/03/world-wide-web-25-years-later.html
-- World Wide Web, 25 years later

[3]
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/04/b4/79/04b4794ccf2b6fd14ed3c822be26382f.jpg
-- Illustrating identification (naming) on the Web (re., things that
exist on or off the Web medium) .

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen