Re: An analyst's view of the payment industry

hallo,

Just a comment on the "95% of mobile subscriptions are prepaid". What do
you think is the issue with that?

Pre-paid phones can technically use carrier billing just as well as
contract ones, with the difference that charges come out of the prepaid
credit rather than being sent on a bill to the user. This actually makes it
even better for some transactions since the credit can be checked
immediately and with less bad debt risk (think of it as debit card
transaction versus credit card transaction, the money is taken immediately
from the account so no risk of it not being paid later)

Would love to hear if you think there's something there that I may be
missing

As I see it, the main barriers of adoption for prepaid billing are the
carriers themselves I'm afraid ;) Also, in most national regulations
carrier billing is mostly limited to virtual goods (eg: apps, ringtones,
subscriptions...) so not aplicable to all payment cases, but that may
change as things progress

Saludos!

---
ricardo

--
Ricardo Varela -  http://twitter.com/phobeo
"Though this be madness, yet there's method in 't"