Complementary Currencies and Intent Casting [former: Deprecation Warnings for currencies used in transaction?]

On 01/03/2014 01:02 PM, Joseph Potvin wrote:
> RE: "I just would like to make possible for *each and every individual*
> to clearly state *one's own personal intention*"
>
> Ah. Okay, now I understand. So where WebPayments would enable vendors to
> select one or more media of exchange they are willing to accept in
> payment, and amongst those, WebPayments enables purchasers to choose
> which media of exchange they wish to make payment in, you are suggesting
> that both vendors and purchases ought to have a simple way to signal
> that they will not (or prefer not to) be using that medium of exchange
> in the future.
Ok, I have impression that we dive into very interesting topic but
possibly also loose focus on much simpler and easier to define use case
I started with. (my subject: change tries to reflect it!)
A year ago I've sent email over this list: "Listing with multiple
Currencies and Authorities" and received helpful reply from Manu. -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2012Dec/0021.html
My email mentions http://polyeconomy.info where I tried to illustrate it
in more visual way.
Eventually I would like that in our online profiles related to Web
Identity, WebID, Mozilla Persona whatever. We can publish our general
preferences related to all kinds of currencies. At some point services
could use such profile to filter out listings presented to us with
currencies we state no interest in using and highlight listing with
those currencies we state more interest in. But this setup seems to me
much more out of scope for this group especially at this early stage...

> If the relevance of any fiat medium of exchange is a combination of "got
> some to give" (purchaser perspective) and "de facto brand loyalty"
> (vendor perspective), then the information function you're suggesting to
> include is for each to be able to provide advance notification of
> changes to these statuses.
I find it very useful that we can signal to each other our intentions of
all kinds. Very likely we could collaborate on it with community around:
http://projectvrm.net
They use concept of *intent casting*:
https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/projectvrm/Intentcasting
Though I haven't noticed them tackling on environment with great
diversity of currencies. I also got impression that on technology side
they work more with XDI and less with RDF...

> Hosting within WebPayments such a system for "votes of confidence" in
> the various media of exchange would introduce may political charged
> issues into the deployment, and anyways, how reliable would the
> declarations be? This still seems to be something that could be
> experimented with in a particular implementation, say with a "Currency
> Market Sentiment Plugin" or something. It does not seem to enable direct
> transaction use cases.
I don't expect any special emphasis on that issue from specs developed
within Web Payments community. I see it enough to just keep technology
flexible / extensible enough for other initiatives to implement and
emphasize such cases. I used this particular case simply because I have
very direct need for it and clearly defined real world use cases.