Re: Zero Click Bitcoin Micropayments using HTTP 402

On 31 December 2014 at 15:39, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-31 12:11, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

>>  <snip>
>

>>     Since it doesn't do anything that you can't equally well do with 200
>> + suitable message
>>

>> How can 200 + message = 402?
>>
>> 4xx in HTTP indicates an error
>>
>> 200 in HTTP indicates success
>>
>> What message do you envisage here?
>>

> Since HTTP 402 directed to the *browser window* doesn't apply, we are
> rather talking
> about a proxy that in the background does the communication.  In your case
> through XHR.

xhr.status will be set to 402 and the js can switch on that

> If I were to design such a scheme I would let the proxy call return two
> both having the response code 200.  One message would be like "OK"  which
> I understand
> should trigger the proxy to perform a URL access to the requested
> resource.  The
> other response would be "Payment Required + associated information on what
> kind of
> payments that are accepted and how much money that is requested.

i didnt think of using a proxy but that's another nice technique

http codes were designed to be used, sure you can issue a 200 for a page
not found and write some text, but 404 is the standards way

> So even if one could do the same thing with HTTP 402 the question remains:
> Why would
> this be better unless 402 got a built-in payment hook[*] in the browser?
> I would be
> interested hearing Manu's opinion on this since he and Digital Bazaar
> really are
> the only parties who have provided CG specifications.

I think there's some confusion.  There's some elements of payments that can
be done with *existing* standards and some that can require new standards.

If reusing standards already to solve a use case, then you are doing what
they were designed for.  Web standards are more like building blocks (think
html, css, http) than a one size fits all solution (think apple pay, google
wallet).

Payments have so many use cases that small modular pieces can end up doing
amazing things.  HTTP 402 is just one of those small pieces.