Re: Zero Click Bitcoin Micropayments using HTTP 402

On 2014-12-31 12:11, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

<snip>

>     Since it doesn't do anything that you can't equally well do with 200 + suitable message
>

> How can 200 + message = 402?
>
> 4xx in HTTP indicates an error
>
> 200 in HTTP indicates success
>
> What message do you envisage here?

Since HTTP 402 directed to the *browser window* doesn't apply, we are rather talking
about a proxy that in the background does the communication.  In your case through XHR.

If I were to design such a scheme I would let the proxy call return two responses
both having the response code 200.  One message would be like "OK"  which I understand
should trigger the proxy to perform a URL access to the requested resource.  The
other response would be "Payment Required + associated information on what kind of
payments that are accepted and how much money that is requested.

So even if one could do the same thing with HTTP 402 the question remains: Why would
this be better unless 402 got a built-in payment hook[*] in the browser?  I would be
interested hearing Manu's opinion on this since he and Digital Bazaar really are
the only parties who have provided CG specifications.

Anders

*] I guess this is what the demo thing did by "hijacking" the browser communication.