Re: Apple AppStore revenues - 85%+ come from games

10.12.2014, 18:03, "Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>:
> On 2014-12-10 15:47, Stephane Boyera wrote:
>>  my 2cts:
>>
>>  *i'm not entirely sure i understand how in-app payment is different to
>>  usual checkout apart from the fact that in most cases, particularly for
>>  games, it is micro-payment? you have a product to buy, the app receive a
>>  message the product has been paid, and it is delivered to the user
>>  (digital content)?

Yes.

> Aren't in-app payments highly "orchestrated" ? Can you perform an in-app purchase
> of an Android or iOS app in any other way than defined by Google and Apple respectively?

On Android, there are a wide variety of billing solutions - there are a variety of Androids, and not all of them add the Google stack.

Onepf.org is a open-source group that are enabling "cross-platform" payment across different in-app billing solutions on top of Android. Some of what they do is likely repeatable on the scale of the Web.

That said, as far as I know there is a basic assumption that an app defines a billing provider (possibly depending on where it came from - i.e. downloading the same app from Samsung or Yandex stores may lead it to use a different billing mechanism). And there is no reason an app *cannot* define its own billing procedure, if it can overcome the friction of setting that up. This might not work for something people use once, but that is unlikely to be the case with games where people are making a continued investment…

> I.e. you must have an account at these providers first.

It's possible to set up an account when you want to make a payment (lots of things do this), and it shouldn't be that complicated to select an account you already have at that same point.

> I have never bought an app so I'm on thin ice here :-)

I've never bought a new car, nor a house, but it doesn't mean I have no idea how it works.

>>  *I'm not sure i understand in which way the topic (game) has any impact
>>  on the payment part? today 99% of app business model is on freemium
>>  (free+in-app model) (see the great slideshow of business insider:
>>  THE FUTURE OF MOBILE: 2014
>>  http://www.businessinsider.com/the-future-of-the-mobile-industry-2014-11#-1
>>  )

I think the case is the most payments are in-app, and most apps getting money are games. On the other hand, I know people whose favourite "game" online is selling stuff to people - shares are one example, empty plastic bottles in another case.

But it would be good to have a couple of people here who really do work with games - there are things like the way you reduce friction that may be somewhat different for a game than for a site dedicated to auctions or stock trading. Or maybe not - without asking them it is harder to know.

cheers