Re: Standards Making 101

On 8 October 2013 04:00, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> RE: "The principle of standards is that whatever technology introduced is
> uniform"
>
> In the spirit of "Standards Making 101", there's more to it than that:
> "Code of Good Practice for the Preparation, Adoption and Application of
> Standards"
> http://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/17-tbt_e.htm#annexIII
> (This is Annex 3 to the WTO Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade)
>
> RE: "to allow anyone to publish"
>
> "to allow" & "anyone to publish" >> Those are both politically-charged
> concepts, surely.
>
> In this web payments community group our effort is "to enable anyone to
> pay anyone else online". But we don't yet know if that will be "allowed" in
> all jurisdictions. Some of us are working on the components to permit
> choice of vehicle currency, although we reallty don't know if that will be
> allowed, as some jurisdictions have laws requiring use of the national
> currency, or the counterparty's currency, but not a third party currency.
> Others on this list work on various autonomous crypto-units of account, and
> we're in the midst of finding out what will be allowed and what will not be
> allowed -- bitcoin being the focus of attention presently.
>
> RE: "It's just technology."
>
> After Johann Gutenberg invented the printing press in 1440, it became
> easier for people to disseminate heretical and seditious works, challenging
> both church and state. In order to control what was being said, Henry VIII
> of England invoked a royal prerogative in 1538 to establish printing
> patents as a form of censorship. By a royal charter in 1557, the
> Stationers’ Company was created by the British Crown to oversee a guild
> system in which the right to print a book was limited to members of the
> guild, who were the printers and sellers of books, not the authors.
> Patent-free printing presses were not "allowed". Building a patent-free
> printing press was thus made to be both illegal and, was surely then, a
> political act of civil disobedience, rather like Mahatma Gandhi's drying of
> some seawater to make salt. And rather like writing a method for stripping
> DRM from a device you just bought and paid for and think you own.
> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/how-to-strip-drm-from-kindle-e-books-and-others/
>

> RE; " If you dont want to see DRM in all browsers, then persuade at least
> one browser manufacturer not to add it. "
>
> The problem is one of market confusion when an otherwise open standard
> provides for unique vendor-specific functionality, while still labelling
> that as "standard-compliant".

The WHATWG (ie the browser manufacturers) is driving, not the W3C.  The
HTML5 spec is simply a document of what the current consensus is.  We've
had server side paid access control for ages, and also flash and
sliverlight.  The only difference I see here is that some browser
manufacturers may close parts of their code to prevent people circumventing
the client size controls, which, imho, would be a shame.  However, the
current code bases can be forked and it's quite easy to implement DRM free
browsers for those that want them ...