Re: Standards Making 101 (was: Re: Tradehill Bitcoin exchange shut down for 2nd time in 2 years)

On an different project I came across some useful text from NASA on this
topic
Source:  http://www.egy.org/files/ROI_Study.pdf

Taxonomy of Standards: It is important to understand the landscape of
standards and how geospatial standards are classified. There are three main
types of standards: 1) de facto standards, 2) de jure, or voluntary
consensus standards, and 3) mandatory standards, such as health and safety
or other regulatory standards.14 De facto standards are those that emerge
in the marketplace of convention, rather than the accredited standards
development process, and are usually proprietary. In contrast, the
geospatial standards central to this study are de jure standards, and meet
the criteria for open, voluntary consensus standards set forth in OMB
Circular A-119. In the U.S., the National Technology Transfer and
Advancement Act of 1995 (NTTAA) mandates the use of these standards by
federal agencies, where applicable and advisable. (For a complete
discussion on the taxonomy of standards, see Appendix A.)

Meaning of “Open”: There has been a great deal of discussion in recent
years about “openness,” as in the need for “open” systems, standards,
specifications, open data formats, and open source software. In each of
these examples, the meaning of “open” is both unclear and imprecise.
Regarding standards development, “open” means standards that are developed
in an open, consensual process where all stakeholders have been invited
into the process.15 The American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
process adds additional requirements for openness, requiring consensus or
agreement among stakeholders and due process in the form of a ballot and
appeals process. Furthermore, it requires parties that hold intellectual
property rights (IPR) to identify themselves and any proprietary interest
during the process of standards development. In the context of the OGC,
specifications “open” means that standards and specifications: Are created
and maintained in an open, collaborative process Are freely distributed and
publicly available Are non-discriminatory and non-proprietary Are vendor
and technology neutral [OGC]. It is useful to point out that “open source”
is not necessarily synonymous with “open standards.” However, some
similarities exist between “open source” and the OGC specifications. The
concept of open source generally means access to the source code, but it
also extends the traditional notion of property rights to include specific
distribution rights. Software could be “open source” (e.g., Linux), but not
implement or support “open standards” (particularly open GI standards).
Software can also be proprietary and still support and implement GI-open
standards. Furthermore, certain open source licensing schemes allow for the
development and distribution of open source proprietary software.

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations