Re: PaySwarm Alpha 6 Released

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 March 2013 19:13, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>>
>> PaySwarm Alpha 6 has been released. You can view the latest site on:
>> URLs for Currencies
>> -------------------
>>
>> We have switched over to requiring URLs for all currencies.
>> We had been supporting both ISO currency codes and URLs, but that was
>> really just a hack. All currencies should have URLs that you can follow
>> that will take you to more information about that currency (like the
>> government in control of the currency, the current trading rates, the
>> currency symbol, etc). An alternative currency amount could look like
>> this:
>>
>> {
>>   "amount": "3.00",
>>   "currency": "https://example.com/mycurrency"
>> }
>

> Fantastic progress.
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1. I presume hash based currencies will be supported, I use the 'facebook'
> style of https://w3id.org/currencies/USD# (note the trailing hash) this is
> to distinguish the document from the currency and also future proof allowing
> extra subjects to reside in that document.

Is there a link to how facebook handles such things?  I think we may
be naive in some places and handle equivalence via string comparisons
instead of full semantic URL comparisons.  That might break with a
trailing '#'.  I'm not sure.

> 2. I'm interested in how to model a current or new currency, first question
> is what is @type?

We haven't yet written up a vocab for currencies or defined USD or any
others yet.  We figured we could get away with just creating the
currency URLs for the moment.  I'm guessing it will be something like
https://w3id.org/currencies#Currency.  A Currency will have properties
such as iso4217Code, symbol, label, countries using it, and so on.  If
anyone has thoughts on this or would like to work on it, please go
ahead and let us know.

-dave