Re: PaySwarm Alpha 6 Released

On 03/03/2013 09:02 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> 1. I presume hash based currencies will be supported, I use the
> 'facebook' style of https://w3id.org/currencies/USD#
> <https://w3id.org/currencies/USD> (note the trailing hash) this is
> to distinguish the document from the currency and also future proof
> allowing extra subjects to reside in that document.

Yes, hashes in currencies are just fine. So, this is perfectly valid:

http://example.org/myapp#credits

PaySwarm treats the identifier opaquely, but expects Currency Mint
endpoint information to exist at the currency URL (such as where do I go
to get new units of this currency).

As far as distinguishing the Document from the currency, we're delving
into HTTP Range-14 territory, but we never really liked the solution
proposed by the TAG for that. Our interpretation of URLs on the Web can
be summarized like this:

You don't know if a URL is for a document or a resource of another
nature (like a currency) until you dereference the URL. Once you get a
representation, check the representation to find out the "rdf:type".
This avoids all the crazy 30x redirection that HTTP Range 14 requires
and is a fairly straight-forward way of figuring out what a resource on
the Web is. One could go a step further and do one of two things:

1. If a resource doesn't have an rdf:type on the Web, you can assume
   it's a document, or
2. If a resource doesn't have an rdf:type on the Web, you can't
   assume anything about its type other than by inference.

... leaning more toward the latter than the former.

> 2. I'm interested in how to model a current or new currency, first
> question is what is @type?

We'll add a new class to the Commerce Vocabulary for "Currency". So, the
full URL for the type would be:

https://w3id.org/commerce#Currency

blog: Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals
http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/