Re: Introduction to Linked Data and JSON-LD

On 06/19/2012 02:49 AM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> * 12 minutes is an unusual length (up to 3 minutes fits inside my
> reading flow; 30-50 minutes is something i bookmark and then sit down
> for, for instance at lunchtime). but it works well, i think! nice.
> also, the slides work very well. it's stuff i already know, but still
> i wasn't bored while viewing it.

Good to hear, I was concerned about the length, but more concerned about
not giving enough background when explaining the core of JSON-LD. The
goal was to try to fit it into 8 minutes... but I ended up averaging
closer to 11 minutes with the JSON-LD video over 8-10 takes.

> * the only thing that confused me was for some reason (maybe because
>  Tim is a leaf in the tree) i had understood Jan is the parent of
> Tim, and then when you said "Jan's parent is Tim", it sounded like it
> was the wrong way around. But if you think of the arrow as a
> "parent" property instead of a "parent" verb, then it's obvious.

Yes, I noticed that the third time through by confusing myself when
doing the shoot. I thought of changing it to "has_parent", but that is
typically not good practice and I was hoping that people wouldn't pay
too much attention to the possibility that the role could be reversed.
If I had to do it again, I'd choose a bi-directional relationship
property like "friend", or something similar in an attempt to avoid the
confusion.

> * also Google converting feet to meters is not an example of linked
> data, it's a built-in calculator. converting yens to dollars would be
> a better example i think

Very true... I had performed a few other takes where I had started out
explaining "neat things you can do in Google Search", and unfortunately
mis-spoke during this take and mentioned something that has nothing to
do with Linked Data.

All good feedback, Michiel - much appreciated. I'll try to keep
these things in mind while doing future tutorials.

blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/