On a PISP flow [Was: Feedback from Harry Halpin and Ian Jacobs to European Banking Authority Discussion Paper]

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 3:30 AM, Frédéric Meignien <frederic.meignien@cantonconsulting.fr> wrote:
>
> Hello Ian,
> I see you need a volunteer to think over the PISP flow.
> In the PSD2, this concept of Payment Initiation Service Provider is quite much used and explained.
> Would the idea of a "flow" be to clarify the role of this PISP in relation to other types of Service Providers ?
> Frédéric.

Hi Frédéric,

Here’s our “flow” home page:
 https://github.com/w3c/webpayments/wiki/Flows

The exercise should help us understand the impact of the Web Payment APIs on priority flows,
and in looking at the “before the API” and “after the API” pictures, we are like to detect issues that
we need to ensure we address in the API specification.

Similarly, it seems through your question that there’s a way to use (different) flows to show the world “before
PISPs” and “with PISPs”. I don’t know whether PISPs will have an impact on all the flows that are listed on the
above wiki page. But in the cases where PISPs do play a role, I think it makes sense to do something like this:

  * Take a “pre W3C API flow”  and modify it to include a PISP
  * Add it to the list of flows (e.g., “3DS with PISP” though that may or may not be a real example).
  * Create a “post W3C API flow” (e.g., 3DS with PISP and W3C API”).

Then we can evaluate the result and see if we observe any critical issues that the W3C API needs to take into account.

If you would like to contribute, I suggest contacting Nick Telford-Reed and Matt Saxon on the working group list: public-payments-wg@w3.org.

Thanks!

Ian

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447