From: Ian Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 6:27 PM
To: David Ezell; Erik Anderson
Cc: Web Payments IG
Subject: Started work on plan for strategic discussion of IG at Oct FTF meeting

Hi David, Erik, and the IG,

Today I put some thought into how to organize a discussion during our TPAC face-to-face meeting about the strategic direction of the IG. In short, I would like one outcome of the meeting to be that we have a refreshed and shared understanding of the group’s purpose and plan.

To that end, I’ve added a second goal for the meeting:
 • Review and update the strategic plan of the Interest Group

I’ve created a wiki page for this topic and welcome comments and edits in-place by IG participants:
  https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Main_Page/FTF_Oct2015_Strategy

I think it’s a good opportunity to ask ourselves questions like this:

 * How do we think we are doing?
 * Are we confident we are doing the right things?
 * If not, what should we change?

The wiki page above includes some notes on how we might find answers to those types of questions, and an initial analysis based on what our charter says we should be doing.

At the end of the FTF meeting I’d like to have a plan for the next year. (I think we should enter the meeting with a draft plan; anyone want to help me work on that?). This was a useful exercise after the February FTF meeting and we did a good job working to it, but now we need to update it.

If we find at the FTF meeting that there are contentious issues, we can create some task forces to work out how to proceed. Furthermore, we should discuss whether our existing task forces are still relevant and functioning, and if not, we should change them.

I also thought more about the flow of the meeting. I’ve started taking notes in the wiki [1]. Here’s a snapshot from today:

        • Review meeting goals and agenda
        • Introductions of new participants
        • Strategic direction for the IG
        • Candidates for next priorities
                • Industry Stakeholder presentations
                • Functional topic presentations
        • Liaisons
                • E.g., ISO20022 and web payments
        • Prioritization of candidate topics
        • Next face-to-face meeting
        • Review strategy and work plan
                • Update calendar
                • Update roadmap

I think it’s still a bit soon to divide that up in more detail (by assigning time slots). But I wanted to get early feedback on the overall flow.

Please note that the even though the Web Payments Working Group does not yet exist, we’ve started taking notes on topics for its first FTF agenda [2]. Feel free to add to that. You’ll note that some topics like “Capabilities” are currently slated for the WG agenda with “knowledge transfer”
in mind. Of course, that does not prevent us from having IG discussions about our deliverables; I expect that to be part of the strategic discussion.

Have a good weekend,

Ian

[1] https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Main_Page/FTF_Oct2015#Flow_Notes

[2] https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Main_Page/FTF_Oct2015#Working_Group_Agenda

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447

This electronic message, including attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or company named above or to which it is addressed. The information contained in this message shall be considered confidential and proprietary, and may include confidential work product. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email immediately.