RE: Suggest all WPIG have text on: Goal to advance economic/financial inclusion for unbanked/underbanked and persons with disabilities

Thanks for your input James. And just to give everyone the correct person to
slap, I brought this topic up – Adrian chose to play devil’s advocate –
rightfully so.

My original suggestion was to also include persons with disabilities….”to
advance economic/financial inclusion for the unbanked/underbanked and
persons with disabilities”…and I did that for a reason, after attending last
Wednesday the ADA@25 National Disability Institute (NDI) Anniversary and
Economic Summit. The Chairman of the FDIC, Martin Gruenberg, after reporting
on the outcome of a survey they conducted about how persons with
disabilities interact with financial systems, stated that “Mobile banking is
our focus going forward. Economic inclusion for the unbanked/underbanked and
persons with disabilities is our main focus and priority. We want to partner
with others to help allow these populations to improve access to the banking
system” .

My point is if we want to attract banks in particular to our efforts, and
fulfill a  <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/> Tim Berners-Lee and W3C
goal to allow the web to be available to All, it would behoove us to ensure
that we have clearly identified in all of our documents – including the new
WG charters – that this goal is integral to our vision. The banking industry
in many nations have requirements under these kinds of initiatives. Let help
them meet some of their requirement in this area – and – bring them to our
table to help us build this in.

And as Dr Louise Bennett noted that bringing in this next billion is also a
goal of the UN’s  <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/> Internet Governance
Forum.

While I understand he cynicism including this statement may garner – if we
build the interoperability in right (per Jorge), and we support traditional
and emerging financial services – we can actually help to drive and
influence just that; to advance the cause for the unbanked/underbanked and
persons with disabilities in improving economic/financial inclusion and
self-sufficiency.

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Senior Accessibility SME (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)

Cell: 703-371-5545 |  <mailto:ryladog@gmail.com> ryladog@gmail.com | Oakton,
VA |  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/katieharitosshea/> LinkedIn Profile |