Re: Comments on Webizen proposal

Hi,

On 05/12/2014 12:32 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:

>>> It is an ID card with your webizen # on it.
>>
>> this seems like high cost (postage) for little benefit. Most people old enough to spend $100 need a bigger wallet for the cards they have, not another card.
>
> Without more information about what purpose the card would serve I can't really say much. However, in general I think a "card" may be less useful than a digital badge, or a physical badge, or a sticker. Those things also do more to promote the program than something hidden in a wallet.

A digital card or a smartcard would be nice to have. I'm thinking more
in terms of a card with a PGP chip that we use to digitally sign data.

>> -1 Running a blog for a group of external people as a PR exercise is not a good idea. Paying $100 and getting *yet another* blog site is probably not either, unless you back it with W3C's persistence policy as a serious promise. And then it becomes a real commitment of resources, since you cannot afford to completely outsource the moderation.
>>
>> I would consider offering people the chance to publish stuff on the official W3C blog. And warn them that this means it has to be good enough.
>>
>> Which raises the question of why we think only english speakers deserve the full range of opportunities and benefits.
>
> I am concerned about opening up the W3C blog to a large number of people due to the moderation cost.

Why not invite the community to decide instead? The community will
appoint people to run (administer) the blog and they can also select who
the editors will be. W3C only has to stamp it with its seal of approval,
as long as the blog(s) respect a minimum set of guidelines.

On a different note, I have been mentioning Webizen to a couple of
friends and their first reaction was towards the membership fee. I think
a lot of people would gladly participate if they were able to choose a
membership package that would fit them best. Basically, follow the same
tiered payment model that Kickstarter and Indiegogo use, where users
decide how much they are willing to invest, based on a predefined list
of perks they receive in exchange for their donation.

-- Andrei