Re: Comments on Webizen proposal

On May 11, 2014, at 6:31 PM, "Charles McCathie Nevile" <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

>>>   3) What is a Webizen ID card? -1 until better understood
>>
>> It is an ID card with your webizen # on it.
>
> this seems like high cost (postage) for little benefit. Most people old enough to spend $100 need a bigger wallet for the cards they have, not another card.

Without more information about what purpose the card would serve I can't really say much. However, in general I think a "card" may be less useful than a digital badge, or a physical badge, or a sticker. Those things also do more to promote the program than something hidden in a wallet.

>>>   7) Webizen blog: +1 if moderated by Webizen representatives.
>
> -1 Running a blog for a group of external people as a PR exercise is not a good idea. Paying $100 and getting *yet another* blog site is probably not either, unless you back it with W3C's persistence policy as a serious promise. And then it becomes a real commitment of resources, since you cannot afford to completely outsource the moderation.
>
> I would consider offering people the chance to publish stuff on the official W3C blog. And warn them that this means it has to be good enough.
>
> Which raises the question of why we think only english speakers deserve the full range of opportunities and benefits.

I am concerned about opening up the W3C blog to a large number of people due to the moderation cost.

Ian
Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447