Re: Webizen progress and next meeting

On 8/6/2014 4:26 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2014 3:57 PM, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org
> <mailto:jeff@w3.org>> wrote:
> >

> > On 8/6/2014 2:43 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> of this?
> >> >

> >> Close I think.  I didn't see the presentation,
> >

> > I wasn't talking about my June presentation (which was essentially
> the previous wiki), I was referring to the way I was trying to find a
> middle ground earlier in this thread.
> >

> Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.  So the proposal is like my own, but the
> charter review feedback isn't formally counter, but at the discretion
> of the director?

Actually, all Charter review information is "formally" Advisory, even
from the AC.  In practice we attempt to be quite considerate of input.

> What about votes?  Honestly  I'm a little dismayed by what appear to
> be efforts to prevent folks who might be paying members from being
> anything but.

This proposal does not propose that Webizens should be Members.  I
believe that is Chaals' proposal.

>   In fact, even in current proposals this is asking individuals to
> have way more "skin in the game" than 99% of current members (because
> members are individuals and it costs them nothing, their member -org-
> pays the bill and at that level, for many of them the price point is
> often negligible). The incentives and disincentives toward "common
> good" seem very at odds with what you'd think.  Maybe it's hard for me
> to understand their position,

I think their position is that W3C Members pay a lot more than $100 to
be Members.  You counter that it is not costing the individuals money
(which is true), but they counter that it is not the individuals - but
the organization that is the Member.