Re: IndieAuth, was Re: W3C - Social Web Working Group

On 21 July 2014 19:32, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

>  On 07/21/2014 01:18 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>
> On 2014-07-21 18:39, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> On 21 July 2014 18:29, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com
> <mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 2014-07-21 18:23, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>         On 07/21/2014 12:20 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>
>             By pure accident I found this:
>             http://www.w3.org/Social/WG
>
>             Anders
>

>         It's also being announced on the front page, w3.org
> <http://w3.org> <http://w3.org>, and in various
>         media, today.
>
>                 -- Sandro
>

>     It doesn't appear that WebID is a part of this effort.
>
>     This is somewhat strange because a Social Web without a login seems
> like a moderately clever idea.
>

> You need to have a paradigm shift, that webid is nothing to do with login.
>

> Apparently not.  We are going to build the decentralized Social Web on
> Facebook Connect then?
> This seems at odds with at least one of the Chair's missions:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmKO7Gr4TE
>

> The point is that identity is separable, and so it has been separated.
> Otherwise it would be too big a piece of work for one WG.
>
> Your oblique mention of Tantek reminds me, I don't know if this group has
> ever talked about the solution he's currently endorsing, IndieAuth:
>
> https://indieauth.com/
>
>  It's fascinatingly minimalist.

Case in point, my WebID is also an Indieauth ID.  I can login via PKI or
via indie auth.  Indie auth gives me the option to sign in with twitter or
github.  Although twitter broke lately, so I just use my github auth
layered on top of my webid to sign it.  Do also note that github lets you
sign in via PGP, SSH, user/pw, cookie etc.  As it happens my WebID RSA key
and my GPG key are the same.   So, best of all worlds! :)