Re: Request for Review of WebID specs before publishing

On 9/6/13 1:44 PM, Andrei Sambra wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/6/13 12:32 PM, Andrei Sambra wrote:
>>

>>     On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Kingsley Idehen
>>     <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 9/6/13 11:22 AM, Erich Bremer wrote:
>>>         "The WebID URI -
>>>         /"http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card*#i*"/
>>
>>         It should really be:
>>
>>         </http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card*#i*> (a
>>         Reference) as opposed to
>>         //"http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card
>>         <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card>*#i*"/ (a Literal) :-)
>>

>>     I disagree. There we are talking about the URI components, not
>>     the RDF representation of the URI. For example, it's meant to be
>>     used when giving someone your WebID, as opposed to the URI of
>>     your WebID profile document: "Here is my WebID:
>>     http://bob.example.org/profile#me. Please add me as your friend".
>>     Andrei
>     <> has nothing to do with RDF.
>     <#Andrei> != "Andrei" .
>

> Yes, but the context in which we are presenting that URI has nothing
> to do with <>.

Aesthetically, it ensures you get the effects of a reference, across
different viewing media. It also ensures you *indicate* a Reference when
you mean a Reference. As opposed to indicating a Literal Identifier when
you actual mean a Reference based Identifier.

Being clear and consistent about Identifiers is very important.

> As a matter of fact, we are not discussing semantics in that
> particular context. We are just presenting the difference between two
> strings of characters.

I don't know what "semantics" mean to you. To mean, every sentence is
endowed with semantics by virtue of the existence of a verb. The
sentence is question makes reference to an identifier, the identifier in
question isn't literal i.e., it doesn't denote its literal value, it
denotes something else.

Kingsley