Re: WebID definitions and specs: conceptual vs functional

On 22 March 2013 18:17, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2013, at 18:15, Jürgen Jakobitsch <j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at>
> wrote:
>

> >>   Axiom: Opacity of URIs
> >>
> >>   The only thing you can use an identifier for is to refer to
> >>   an object. When you are not dereferencing, you should not
> >>   look at the contents of the URI string to gain other
> >>   information.
> >>
> >> In other words -- whether it contains a hash or not; whether
> >> its scheme is http or spdy or lmnop; whether it's short or long,
> >> human comprehensible or pure gibberish -- all of this must be
> >> ignored *except* when *actually dereferencing,* which is not
> >> conceptual, but functional.
> >>

> > intersting... i wrote about something like this, but has been deleted
> > from argument list :
> >
> > (the now zombie-page)
> >

> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/index.php?title=WebID_Definition/hash&oldid=481
>
> Do you think this would have changed the consensus?

I guess we'll never know!

The text was:

[
By defining a WebID to be a hash-based we put a lot of semantics into a
single character where the most important parts are that an entity is
described in a standardized way. Two identical => descriptions <= of a real
world entity are treated differently if webid.toString().indexOf("#") is -1
or > 0. That what's interesting for the verifier is not the uri-string, but
the description of an entity. In other words a verifier must judge the
graph not (only) by the triples it contains, but also by a certain
character in the subject's uri.
]

Once again, we ALWAYS introspect on a string to determine next steps.   It
may be one character but the : after the http is also a case of
introspection, based on the URI spec.  HTTP has its regex too for defining
things such as domain, port and fragment.  Yes the triples in a document
are important but so is the URL.