Re: Problem with Hash based Linked Data URIs

hi,

please also note openlink's #this-uri-style, kingsley, correct me if i'm
wrong, but the idea is to use hash-based uris that are also unique
without the hash. that way a redirect is saved and you don't get a lot
of data you are not interested in.

wkr turnguard

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 15:42 +0100, Henry Story wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2013, at 15:33, Adrian Gschwend <ktk@netlabs.org> wrote:
>
> > On 16.02.13 12:10, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Kingsley, just trying to understand the problem better.  When I
> >> click, http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#BusinessEntity it takes me to
> >> the section of the GR vocab that is related to BusinessEntity (via html
> >> anchors).  What should it be doing?
> >
> > That's only because you requested it from a web browser, if you get that
> > as RDF (via rapper for example) it will make a request to
> > http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1 and instead of giving you the answer to
> > what you really want to know  (#BusinessEntity) it downloads the whole
> > ontology which according to rapper is 1834 triples. Everything after the
> > # is handled client side and does not even get through the webserver.
> >
> > This is not handy at all when you start to write code, you get way more
> > than you wanted to know and it gets harder to implement local caching
> > for example. Did that done that, really no fun to implement properly
> > with hash based URIs.
> >
> > So I'm really no fan of hash based URIs either, especially on bigger
> > ontologies/datasets.
>
> Ah. Really what is needed is that you be able to send a specifc query
> to the graph to give you a subset of it. If you could send an SPARQL
> DESCRIBE query to the resource, you'd be fine, right?
>
> That sounds something that one should get the LDP group to specify.
>
> Essentially you'll always have that problem with GET. You need to define
> a different verb. I think something like the WebDAV SEARCH
>
>   http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc5323.html#METHOD_SEARCH
>
> Or have a relation in the header to a search end point. The SEARCH
> method or equivalent seems to me the correct way of doing it.
>

> Henry
>

> > cu
> >
> > Adrian
> >

> > --
> > Adrian Gschwend
> > @ netlabs.org
> >
> > ktk [a t] netlabs.org
> > -------
> > Open Source Project
> > http://www.netlabs.org

| Jürgen Jakobitsch,
| Software Developer
| Semantic Web Company GmbH
| Mariahilfer Straße 70 / Neubaugasse 1, Top 8
| A - 1070 Wien, Austria
| Mob +43 676 62 12 710 | Fax +43.1.402 12 35 - 22

COMPANY INFORMATION
| web       : http://www.semantic-web.at/
| foaf      : http://company.semantic-web.at/person/juergen_jakobitsch
PERSONAL INFORMATION