Re: Domain of :key

On 1 April 2013 09:39, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> You should discuss that with Dan Brickley on the foaf mailing list if you
> think his definition is
> so close to being a owl:Thing that it's not worth having the distinction.
>
> We don't assign the domain of :key or the range of :identity to any agent,
> but to those
> for which the following is true:
>
> :identity a rdf:Property, owl:ObjectProperty;
>     vs:term_status "archaic";
>     rdfs:label "identity"@en;
>     rdfs:isDefinedBy <cert#>;
>     skos:editorialNote """
>          It turns out that this relation is unintuitive to write out and
> to name.
>          One should instead use cert:key
>     """@en;
>     rdfs:comment """
>     the identity of the public key. This is the entity that knows the
> private key and
>     so can decrypt messages encrypted with the public key, or encrypt
> messages that can
>     be decrypted with the public key.
>     """@en;
>     owl:inverseOf :key;
>     rdfs:domain :PublicKey .
>

> That is it has to be something that can be responsible for a private key -
> keeping
> it safe from other agents within reason, and it has to be something that
> can encrypt
> and decrypt messages with the key. Those are very clearly agent like
> things.
> Software agents can be such things.
>

> > This is the distinction, I guess, between 'is defined as an agent' and
> 'has the properties of an agent' — and I suppose why X.509/LDAP has a
> distinction between 'structural' and 'auxiliary' classes (the former being
> defining qualities, the latter describing facets).
> >
> > What about, say, a piece of digital media? There are situations where
> encoded media has its own keys conforming otherwise to the ontology, and
> it's a bit of a stretch to say that *it* is an agent.
>
> Does digital media also have its private keys with which it can sign
> something? Is Holloywood going to
> encrypt digital media and add the private key to the media too, so that
> the media can then do what?
> Clearly not. So they don't conform to the ontology
>
> But perhaps this will become more obvious if you give us the use case. My
> guess is that this
> will reveal that you need a very different relation. And I am not against
> that.
>

> > Flipping this around the other way, why _should_ the domain be
> restricted to foaf:Agent? What practical problems does it cause? (Noting
> that this isn't necessarily modifying the definition of a WebID, just that
> anything can have a key or even a certificate associated with it).
>
> Because we want a relation relating the Agent that is doing the encryption
> decryption using the given key.
> We have been using that since the beginning of WebID.
> Other relations are possible, and it is easy to create new ones if needed.

This is interesting logic so you want one relation that relates a key to a
URI and one that relates a key to an agent.  Logically they should be named
something like "key" and "agentKey", right?  The downside of this
suggestion is that implementations would need to change.

Though I think we have consensus slightly in favour rdfs : Resource