Re: Domain of :key

01.04.2013 14:57, Melvin Carvalho:

> [...]
>          skos:editorialNote """
>               It turns out that this relation is unintuitive to write
>     out and to name.
>               One should instead use cert:key
>          """@en;
>          rdfs:comment """
>          the identity of the public key. This is the entity that knows
>     the private key and
>          so can decrypt messages encrypted with the public key, or
>     encrypt messages that can
>          be decrypted with the public key.
>          """@en;
>          owl:inverseOf :key;
>          rdfs:domain :PublicKey .
>

>     That is it has to be something that can be responsible for a private
>     key - keeping
>     it safe from other agents within reason, and it has to be something
>     that can encrypt
>     and decrypt messages with the key. Those are very clearly agent like
>     things.
>     Software agents can be such things.
>
>      >
>      > This is the distinction, I guess, between 'is defined as an
>     agent' and 'has the properties of an agent' — and I suppose why
>     X.509/LDAP has a distinction between 'structural' and 'auxiliary'
>     classes (the former being defining qualities, the latter describing
>     facets).
>      >
>      > What about, say, a piece of digital media? There are situations
>     where encoded media has its own keys conforming otherwise to the
>     ontology, and it's a bit of a stretch to say that *it* is an agent.
>
>     Does digital media also have its private keys with which it can sign
>     something? Is Holloywood going to
>     encrypt digital media and add the private key to the media too, so
>     that the media can then do what?
>     Clearly not. So they don't conform to the ontology
>
>     But perhaps this will become more obvious if you give us the use
>     case. My guess is that this
>     will reveal that you need a very different relation. And I am not
>     against that.
>
>      >
>      > Flipping this around the other way, why _should_ the domain be
>     restricted to foaf:Agent? What practical problems does it cause?
>     (Noting that this isn't necessarily modifying the definition of a
>     WebID, just that anything can have a key or even a certificate
>     associated with it).
>
>     Because we want a relation relating the Agent that is doing the
>     encryption decryption using the given key.
>     We have been using that since the beginning of WebID.
>     Other relations are possible, and it is easy to create new ones if
>     needed.
>

> This is interesting logic so you want one relation that relates a key to
> a URI and one that relates a key to an agent.  Logically they should be
> named something like "key" and "agentKey", right?  The downside of this
> suggestion is that implementations would need to change.
>
> Though I think we have consensus slightly in favour rdfs : Resource
In which point rdf:Resource is better than owl:Thing? I do some ontology
state-of-the-art and I don't see too much ontologies with uses
rdfs:Resource in rdfs:domain or rdfs:range. My conclusion to these
aproaches is that rdfs:Resource is used in low-level ontologies and cert
ont isn't in that level. Probably better consensus is owl:Thing.
Of course, I don't change my mind and I still think that foaf:Agent is
better.

D.

--
Dominik Tomaszuk