Re: Should specifications take sides in the httpRange-14 debate?

On 11/21/12 6:39 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Work continues within the TAG on this issue [1].  On current course
> and speed, I expect hash URIs will be just fine.  My personal take on
> the likely TAG position is that no community of practice with respect
> to URI use on the Semantic Web can or will be declared to be
> "losers".  The goal of the current work is to foster interoperability,
> not mandate a single "winner".
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> ht
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/defininguris.html

FWIW -- for those of you that want to define a WebID  in a manner that
contradicts the position above.

An architecture spec isn't about optimization. Engineering deals with
optimization. A technical spec isn't supposed to teach engineering or
shoehorn engineering decisions.

If anyone is serious about solving this issue. Simply call a vote. I
would be really interested to see how many real Linked Data
practitioners support the proposal for WebIDs being hash based HTTP URIs
while also trying to reconcile that back to TimBL's Linked Data meme as
its architectural foundation.

You don't pick winners (if you can help it), since you ultimately always
alienate the losers.