Re: Should specifications take sides in the httpRange-14 debate?

But there is also Larry Massinter's position
published here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Nov/0024.html

> Speaking for myself:
>
> I think the TAG taking up this issue was based on the presumption (which I question) that httpRange-14 was an issue that made sense without any additional context, or that, even if the question made sense, that a uniform answer was necessary or feasible.
>
> if I working group wishes to promote one side or another, let them. There is no reason to imagine the TAG would make more progress in the next 10 years than it has in the last, on this (so-called) issue.
>
> The design proposed is one where there is a WebID protocol element whose value resembles a URL (not a URI? Surely you are not planning on requiring the non-English world to use ASCII WebIDs?) but is not in fact _any_ URL but rather a string which meets other criteria but also uses the http or https scheme with a fragment identifier. Presumably you will outlaw http://localhost/ or http: URIs which don’t include FQDNs (fully qualified domain names), etc.
>
> Given that you have a string resembling a URL but not really ‘any URL’, any decision made in such a narrow application is unlikely to be accepted by “other sides” of identifier preferences.
>
> Larry

I think there Larry makes a good point with regard to URI/URLs. Now that we have
agreed to restrict to http/https URI's we should use the URI term, as that deals
with internationalisation.