Re: hash editing: removing apple bug ref from SHOULD

On 4 Dec 2012, at 19:39, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 01:05 PM, Henry Story wrote:

>>> See --
>>>
>>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2012Dec/0019.html>
>>
>> [[
>> When a user clicks on a URI with a hash in Keychain.app, they're
>> not going to get where the URI generator intended.
>>
>> The user is going to have a bad experience thereby.
>>
>> Mandating, or even strongly encouraging, hash URIs for WebID
>> will increase the odds of this bad experience for Mac users
>> who start to explore how this all works.
>> ]]
>>
>> yes, understood. But
>>
>> 1. it is a bug in a little used Apple tool that has very
>
> "little used" is a baseless opinion.

You are making the statement that it is used to click on something. Please
prove that it is widely used.

>> little impact on anything,
>>   and this is a standards process, so we don't base our standards on broken tools. What
>
> Actually, we do.
>
> "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you emit."
>
> This guideline stems from decades of work on internet messaging
> (RFC 821/822 and their successors, among other threads).

Still the SHOULD gives you the wiggle space for this.

>>   if they fix it tomorrow?
>> 2. the SHOULD allows you to do something else if you have valid reasons. I cite RFC2119 on SHOULD
>> [[
>> SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
>> ]]
>>  Since you fully understand the implications the SHOULD would allow you to do that.
>
> I will remind you that I was and am not a blocker on SHOULD,
> even if I am and remain negative thereon.

ok. I am not sure where I stand, and am looking at the arguments
as they appear on the wiki. It does not help if one puts an argument
against SHOULD that does not argue against SHOULD.

>> 3. There is another workaround: just  redirect
>
> *Our* tools will redirect.  We'll build in handlers for whatever
> weirdness the net throws at us.
>
> That's part of what OpenLink does, and a big part of why DBpedia
> worked in the first place (Virtuoso being one of few servers that
> was built to deal with IE's broken behavior of sending the #frag
> as part of its GET, unquestionably violating HTTP spec).
>
> But today's effort is about *interoperability*, about making sure
> that the most tools possible will work with each other.
>
> I want *other* tools to either handle these issues, or -- far
> better! -- not have to address them at all.

yes, I believe the interoperability arguments are already up on the
wiki. So I don't see why adding an argument against SHOULD that does
not make a case against SHOULD is helping.

>>  http://some.eg/foaf%23

>>  http://some.eg/foaf
>
> Note that such redirections will not typically be from something
> ending foaf%23 but something ending foaf%23fragID, *and* it won't
> be applicable to *every* GET with %23 in the requested URI...

yes my typo.

> And, even if it were applicable to every GET, it's not nearly
> trivial to set up on most web servers, or so I've gathered from
> witnessing many people trying to do so.

I think that is why people are arguing that #uri must be a SHOULD.
( At least that is one of the arguments up on the wiki - it's under MUST,
but I guess it could also be under SHOULD )

>> So your argument is not an argument against SHOULD given the
>> definition of SHOULD.
>
> My argument *is* against SHOULD, and *for* MAY, given the
> underlying goal -- maximizing interoperability.

Your general position is against SHOULD and for MAY, and that
is a perfectly reasonable case to argue.

But this particular argument ( the one I removed from the wiki )
does not work against SHOULD.

You may have already enough arguments against SHOULD for all I know.
Adding arguments that don't argue against what you wish to argue against
is not helping.

In fact I gave you a powerful extra argument for the third MAY solution
today:
 - SPDY: with SPDY, my arguments against redirects is a lot less strong.
 - Caching of 303s: if that is correct then it removes a little bit of sting
   ( but I'd like Nathan to point to the Httbis spec )

I would like to see arguments that help us make progress.

  All the best,

	Henry