Re: Proposed agenda for WG Zoom call this week (Thursday, June 20)

I have worked on the font usage inspection a bit more. I created a
tool called fontinspect specifically for the purpose of extracting the
data about font usage on a single page.

Try it out: `npx fontinspect https://sarasoueidan.com`
Read more: https://www.npmjs.com/package/fontinspect

If we get some data on user navigation patterns across multiple pages
on the same site, I think the current data I extract should be
diffable to know which codepoints need to be progressively loaded per
navigation.

Caveats:
- The engine does not evaluate javascript, so any pages that are
already optimizing their font loading with font face observer or
similar scripts or js-based loading techniques will probably not yield
correct results. The main portion of the analysis is done by
https://www.npmjs.com/package/font-tracer which can also run in a
browser, so if we need javascript evaluation we could write a similar
tool using puppetteer and running the trace from it.
- The memory usage while expanding all the different variations is
quite steep. I've had node run out of memory while inspecting
https://rwt.io (sorry Jason)

--
Peter Müller
http://mntr.dk