Re: Streaming font thoughts

On Wed, 2017-11-22 at 11:38 -0800, Brian Stell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

[...]
> > A JS callback for when an undefined glyph is
> requested might make this simpler, too.
> >

> I agree. There would need to be other info such as glyph width, etc.
> but
> that seems straight forward. I will note that getting the character
> code is easy for the browser code dealing with HTML. Getting the
> glyph id requires communication down to the rendering layer

An alternative might be a callback for, "this character couldn't be
rendered with this font" and then you'd insert potentially a whole
bunch of glyphs on the fly.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/