Re: Streaming font thoughts

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> A couple of thoughts -
> A JavaScript API to add a glyph to a font on the fly might be
> interesting. There may be security implications (e.g. you could make
> "buy" look like "dog").

My impression is character ('y' vs 'n') and word (via OpenType features)
spoofing is a potential issue for all webfonts. For cross domain it would
be nice if there was a way for the font streaming site to supply the
Javascript. If there was a way for pages to communicate or register or
request the font then the streaming server's Javascript could handle the
sharing and security issues.

A JS callback for when an undefined glyph is

requested might make this simpler, too.

I agree. There would need to be other info such as glyph width, etc. but
that seems straight forward. I will note that getting the character code is
easy for the browser code dealing with HTML. Getting the glyph id requires
communication down to the rendering layer; eg, Harfbuzz or FreeType. I ask
the Harfbuzz and FreeType maintainers about this at the 2013 AtypI
conference but neither gave encouraging responses. Of course, maybe now
things would be different.