Re: Firefox 44 (and Chrome in future) may reject some web fonts that were previously accepted

On 5/1/16 16:27, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello Behdad,
>
> Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 5:20:10 PM, you wrote:
>> It's a lot of work.  Would require auditing all of the
>> GSUB/GDEF/GPOS code.  It's not worth my time.  If someone else wants
>> to do, they are welcome to.  And most of the checks we are talking about are bogus.
>
> If the checks being made are spurious and error-prone, they should be
> removed from the code.

Indeed; and if there are checks that are valid in principle but buggy in
implementation, let's get them fixed in OTS.

Saying "this is unnecessary because harfbuzz is robust" is not a
sufficient answer, because harfbuzz is not the only consumer of OpenType
fonts, nor is it well suited to font developers wishing to validate the
fonts they're producing.

It's great that harfbuzz aims to be robust in the face of bad font
tables, but this does not make OTS validation worthless.

JK