Re: Telcon reminder and agenda - Wed. Nov. 6th

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 18:12:15 +0100
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com>
CC: "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Hello Vladimir,

> We will have our regularly scheduled telcon tomorrow

My regrets for this evening's call. I'm getting ready to travel to
China tomorrow. I'm also further behind on the report than I would
have liked, in consequence (but will have some time on the flight to
get more done).

> Agenda:
>
> -          Review open action items
> (http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/)

I closed off three actions of mine that were done, and in the past.

> -          Updates on the current activities (including recent ISO activities)
>
> -          Quick summary of WG findings and future plans (for W3C TPAC meeting next week)
>
> -          Idea up for discussion: Sampo and I had a quick chat
> about WOFF 2.0 activities and he came up with an idea on one
> additional optimization item for TTF glyph data – the outline
> points. In many cases the outline points are defined so that  the
> on-curve point between two off-curve points can be easily calculated
> as a middle point of the line segment that connects off-curve point.
> The on-curve points are needed to be explicitly defined for hints,
> but when optimizing font data for compression those  that are
> trivially located and can be restored easily can be dropped (and
> restored later after decompression). What do you guys think – should we try and evaluate this?

It is probably worth evaluating; it should be done with significant
input from font designers so they are comfortable that the visual
integrity is not compromised.

--
Best regards,