Optimising TTF glyf outlines

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 21:50:57 -0800
CC: "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
My apologies for missing the conference call. New power lines were being
strung to the island today, so we were without electricity until this
evening.

Re. this idea:

>> -          Idea up for discussion: Sampo and I had a quick chat
>> about WOFF 2.0 activities and he came up with an idea on one
>> additional optimization item for TTF glyph data – the outline
>> points. In many cases the outline points are defined so that  the
>> on-curve point between two off-curve points can be easily calculated
>> as a middle point of the line segment that connects off-curve point.
>> The on-curve points are needed to be explicitly defined for hints,
>> but when optimizing font data for compression those  that are
>> trivially located and can be restored easily can be dropped (and
>> restored later after decompression). What do you guys think – should we try and evaluate this?

We could try, although I doubt there would be much benefit in reducing
font size by a small amount only to have to spend time after
decompression adding the points back. Also, there are a fair number of
things that could go wrong in the process and that would have to be
protected against.

JH