Re: Test Cases

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:35:17 +0100
To: Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>
CC: WOFF Working Group FONT <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
On Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 10:04:31 PM, Tal wrote:

TL> Hello Everyone,

TL> As Vlad mentioned in the agenda for the call, I have been working
TL> on files for the test suite. These are still a work in progress,
TL> but you can view what I have here:

TL>         http://wofftesttemp.typesupply.com/

These are great!

After the call, I would like to move them over to the W3C cvs space, since W3C prefers to have test resources hosted at W3C.

TL> The FF-Test directory contains tests based on file format
TL> testable assertions in the spec. A rough overview of these files can be seen here:

TL> http://wofftesttemp.typesupply.com/FF-Tests/fileformattestindex.html

TL> The UA-Test directory contains tests based on User Agent testable
TL> assertions in the spec. A rough overview of these files can be seen here:

TL> http://wofftesttemp.typesupply.com/UA-Tests/useragenttestindex.html

TL> All of these files are generated by this Python script:

TL>         http://wofftesttemp.typesupply.com/testCaseGenerator.txt

TL> Notes on the test cases that are not supported are at the top of the file.

Reading over those notes, i see you come to similar conclusions on testability as are made here

- UA ( http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/wiki/TestPlan-UserAgent ),
- File format ( http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/wiki/TestPlan-Format )
- Authoring tools ( http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/wiki/TestPlan-AuthoringTool )

though we should make more detailed comparisons.

'm in process of moving some of the generic, untestable assertions to a fourth category

- General ( http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/wiki/TestPlan-General )

These items are required of implementations, but are difficult to test without instrumented access to the internals of a browser, for example.

Other assertions are testable, but require a tool to compare an sfnt font with a generated woff, or an sfnt with a (to woff and back) sfnt.

TL> Please note that there *could* be problems in these files, so
TL> don't file any bug reports or anything like that based on these
TL> just yet. I'm working my way through all of the testable
TL> assertions and then I'll check the code again for accuracy.

Please feel free to edit the wiki and add or correct information there.