RE: WOFF and extended metadata

On Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:51 PM David Berlow wrote:

> I believe in the long term the best purpose of metadata is to
> enable web authors to use font information to make typographic
> content more accessible to users.

Can you please explain this in a bit more details? What particular elements of the extended metadata you see as relevant for web authors, and what do you mean by "to use font information to make typographic content more accessible to users"?

> I think that users will want to check to see if the author whose
> site they are browsing has used the fonts according to the metadata.

I am sorry I don't understand what it is that users would check to see if fonts are used according to the metadata. Are you saying that the visitors of a webpage would be concerned about whether the fonts were properly licensed for this particular domain and would want to check this? IMHO, I doubt this would ever cross someone's mind, it is much more likely that a webpage visitor would see a font he/she likes and would want to learn what the font is and where one can get it.

> And, I think "who made it" is low on the author's and user's list
> when it comes to useful web font metadata.

I think you are right on this one, but when they see this information presented about the fonts they like users will eventually appreciate the work designers do to develop high quality fonts.

Regards,
Vlad