RE: WOFF and extended metadata

On Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:04 AM Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> Well, Vlad, isn't it interesting how people keep thinking you requested
> things you never asked for ? :)
>
> Statements such as:
>
> "The missing link here is the connection between a user and a metadata
> in a WOFF file - for an end user to have an ability to see the 'About'
> screen there's got to be some kind of option enabled by a browser the
> user can click on. In other words, both syntax and UA behavior must be
> defined by the WOFF spec..."
>
> ...can certainly be construed as seeking to specify some level of UI
> requirements. Especially when one talks
> about the need to define 'UA behavior' after talking of clicking on
> things.

And I will repeat it again - in order to ensure the spec integrity both syntax and UA behavior must be defined by the WOFF spec.

We already have the syntax of the metadata defined, but the spec is silent about what, if anything, is expected to be done with it by UA.

Again, I stated it in my previous emails and I will say it again - I am *not* seeking to specify anything related to UI requirements. *What* to do with metadata is what we need to address, how to do it is up to a particular UA. I already clearly identified and explained the changes that I believe would address this issue [1], all I am asking for is to add a single sentence to the spec that will say:

"If the metadata is present, browsers SHOULD provide the means for the Extended Metadata content to be displayed at user's request."

Nothing else, no UI requirements, nada!

> We cannot and should not resolve how browser vendors will address this
> in their UI. There will be no consensus, for one.
> We'll be far better off making sure all browser vendors have a common
> format - or a common subset thereof - they can parse quickly,
> easily and efficiently *should they* decide to expose this info.

I agree with you about UI. The changes I am asking for is simply to say that browsers *should* expose this info to a user and are not expected to do anything else about it. The final decision whether they do it or not, and how to do it, remains with UA vendors.

Regards,
Vlad

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010May/0167.html