Gamepad scope

From: Ted Mielczarek <ted@mielczarek.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 22:27:00 -0400
To: public-webevents@w3.org
I just thought I'd put this out there, since I'm not sure we wrote
this down anywhere. After hacking on a prototype implementation of
gamepad support in Gecko, playing with multiple controllers and
reading copious documentation on the internet, I have a pretty good
idea of what I'd like the scope of the Gamepad API spec to be. There
are obviously lots of interesting things out there, but in the
interest of maintaining a finite scope we'll have to draw a line
somewhere. Therefore, I'd propose the following:

Things we will definitely spec:
* Support for multiple axes and buttons per controller
** Including pressure-sensitive buttons/triggers
* Support for alternate controllers like driving wheels

Things we should spec, but possibly not in the first revision:
* Accelerometer support (really neat, but need to get a feel for how
consistent it is across devices)
* Rumble/vibration support

Things that we will definitely not spec:
* Wiimote pointer motion
* Camera sensors (including Kinect)

If anyone has thoughts on the items on this list, or additions, I'd be
interested to hear.

Regards,
-Ted