Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-13: What event(s), if any, should fire when non-positional attributes of a touch point change? [Touch Events spec]

From: Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 00:30:40 -0700
To: Web Events Working Group WG <public-webevents@w3.org>
CC: Web Events Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
On 04/04/2011 12:59 PM, Web Events Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> What events, if any, should fire when other attributes of a touch
> point changes? This includes the size and shape of the touch area
> (radiusX, radiusY, rotationAngle) and the force being applied.

I suggest that we use the "touchmove" event in these cases, for the
following reasons:

1) It will probably be common for the shape and location of the touch
point to change at the same time.  I think it will be simpler to use a
single event to communicate this, rather than two events.

2) Changes in size and orientation of the touch point are arguably a
form of movement.

3) I do not forsee any problems caused by "touchmove" events that do not
cause changes in the X/Y coordinates of a TouchPoint, especially since
this already happens in the case where one touch point moves and another
does not.

> This could also potentially include the depression of the modififer
 > keys (alt/ctrl/meta/shift), even if those attributes are moved to
 > the TouchEvent interface as is being discussed in ISSUE-12.

I think the user agent should *not* dispatch a "touchmove" event (or
other touch event) when the only input is a depressed or released
modifier key.  Standard keydown/keyup events can be used for this instead.