Re: Question about ECDH

I don't have any access to X9.62. I do have SEC 1 (
http://www.secg.org/sec1-v2.pdf), which I think is supposed to be about the
same.

SEC 1 defines two different primitives for the ECDH shared secret, the
"Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman Primitive" and the "Elliptic Curve Cofactor
Diffie-Hellman Primitive". The shared secret for the first primitive is the
x coordinate of dQ while the shared secret for the second one is the x
coordinate of hdQ.

It seems that the RFC is using the first version of SEC 1. Does X9.62 have
both versions, too?

Finally, section 7.1 of the RFC (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6090#section-7.1) says that interoperation
with the IEEE standard requires (among other things) "prime curves with a
cofactor of 1", which would make both methods the same. Perhaps IEEE only
includes the cofactor version of the primitive.

I may have this wrong. I've just now gone over the two specifications and
haven't worked with group theory since grad school.

Charlie