Promise return types

From: Vijay Bharadwaj <Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 19:22:59 +0000
To: "public-webcrypto@w3.org" <public-webcrypto@w3.org>
Someone asked me a question recently that made me look more closely at our return types for the subtleCrypto functions. Should we look at tightening these up a bit instead of having them all be Promise<any>?

Specifically, is there any reason to have exportKey and wrapKey return Promise<any> instead of Promise<ArrayBuffer>? The way it's set up now, it would be very tempting for someone adding a future algorithm to, say, return an object for the JWK export instead of serializing it first as all the existing algorithms do. This may develop into a hassle for programmers as they would have to track what each algorithm does for each format.