Re: Adding Kerberos use-case

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Thomas Hardjono <hardjono@mit.edu> wrote:

> David, Ryan, Folks,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to add a use-case
> to the Web Cryptography API draft.
>
> We want to be able to implement the full
> Kerberos Client in JavaScript and make use of
> the crypto APIs. In particular, we would love to
> have an additional API to handle Kerberos tickets
> (eg. fetching/storing tickets from the underlying OS).

We definitely want to capture the use case as a possible user of the API.
I leave it to Arun (CC'd) to figure out whether the Use Case doc being
prepared is meant to describe what things should be possible with this
API in V1, or what things are meant to be possible (in some yet
undetermined future version with all features).

Individually, I think an API for handling Kerberos Tickets would be an
entirely different API and document, with its own set of use cases and
supporting work. I think showing how it incorporates with the API
proposed is good, and it probably would belong in this group - after a
re-chartering effort (at least, as I understand our current charter).

I would prefer not to spend too much energy discussing how that should
work until we've got the basic API (the editor/wg draft currently
called for in the charter), and then work on iterating and expanding
that in future versions and future documents.

> Maybe something that looks like the KeyStorage interface
> would be workable.

I've proposed removing the KeyStorage API.