SVG vs. WebCGM

From: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:08:25 -0500
To: public-webcgm@w3.org

You knew someone would ask this eventually, I'm surprised the charter
doesn't mention it.

What is the differences in SVG and WebCGM?  Is SVG intended as
general/all-purpose while WebCGM is only for technical/industrial
drawings?  This seems like a rather arbitrary distinction.

Why do we need two standards for scalable vector web graphics?  Can
someone outline the purposes, distinctions, directions of these two
seemingly competing standards within the W3C ?

Thanks,
Jeff