RE: AG comments for Thursday

Hello all,

If I understand question one it basically asks if it would be possible
to include
very specialized SVG files into the companion file so that a particular
SVG viewer
would be able to make CGM graphics more accessable.

I suspect that the CGM is much like his second observation that SVG out
in the
real world are not nice and semantic or ontological but mostly
directives for
how to put "ink" on a page.  I think that there are a couple of reasons
for this:

- it is mostly thought of as an end of process format and CGM is not the
form that
  the data is maintained in so the semantics are not passed on in the
creation of
  the graphic.
- some of the semantics in the CAD systems is considered proprietary (or
intellectual
  property) and is intentionally not included in the published CGM
graphics.

In my opinion it might be theoretically possible but probably not
feasible.

Stuart Galt.