RE: getObjectExtent() question

I suspect your intent is correct. The spec should be corrected.

________________________________

From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 2:30 PM
To: Bezaire, Benoit; WebCGM WG
Subject: Re: getObjectExtent() question

At 01:50 PM 10/10/2008 -0400, Bezaire, Benoit wrote:

	The getObjectExtent() wording says:

	"... Other than text attributes and Style Properties, the
calculation is not affected by CGM Primitive Attribute (such as line
width) or Control elements, nor by APS Attributes
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-webcgm21-20080917/WebCGM21-DOM.html#>  or
Style Properties
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-webcgm21-20080917/WebCGM21-DOM.html#> ..."

	Isn't that a contradiction regarding Style Properties? Do Style
Properties affect the calculations, yes or no?

I suspect that the intent was this:

"Other than text attributes and text-related Style Properties, the
calculation is not affected by CGM Primitive Attribute (such as line
width) or Control elements, nor by APS Attributes or non-text Style
Properties..."

We wanted the text size to affect the calculation when it comes from a
text-related CGM Primitive Attribute (or from the RT box, obviously).  I
suspect that we wanted the text size to also have an effect when it is
changed by the text-size SP, correct?

(If "no", then gOE would effectively return the text extent as defined
in the metafile, but unrelated to its actual displayed extent as might
be affected by text-size SP -- is that what we want?)

But I think it's clear that we didn't want line width to affect it, or
any other of the extent calculations.

Thoughts?