re[3]: Question about setView()

At 02:01 PM 12/4/2008 -0600, Don wrote:

>Lofton,
>
>  >  Benoit or Don (or anyone) --
>
>  >  We have resolved this in concept -- yes, need to specify it.  I was
>  >  entering it into the DoC and stumbled with wording.  Would one of you
>  >  please send me some precise wording for [1]?
>
>  >  Taking off from Ben & Don suggestions, I started like this:  "The viewer
>  >  shall fit the contents of the requested viewRect into >....what?....<
> and
>  >  center it, while maintaining the aspect ratio of the viewRect."
>
>  >  It is the "....what?..." that I'm searching for.  Is it simply "viewer's
>  >  rectangle" as in the (below) quoted zoom wording?  Or something more
>  >  precise, like "view surface metafile display area"?  Or what?
>
>I believe we should use "the viewer's rectangle" to be consistent with
>terminology
>used in 3.2.4.3 where Move behavior is described.

So accordingly the text based on Ben & Don suggestions would become:

[[[
"The viewer shall fit the contents of the requested viewRect into the
viewer's rectangle and center it, while maintaining the aspect ratio of the
requested viewRect."
]]]

That seems to have potential to invite confusion, since the input parameter
name is viewRect and we are mapping it into the viewers rectangle.  (Huh?)

The viewRect is really a window in the NVDC space, and is referred to as
such in ISO graphics standards.  Whereas the "viewer's rectangle" is a
viewport in DC space.  Maybe the parameter should be named viewWindow or
something.  Or newNvdcWindow.  Or ...?

Is anyone else uncomfortable with the almost identical terminology on both
sides of the mapping description?

-Lofton.