Re: CORRECTION RE: WG assignments -- WebCGM 1.0 Errata review

On Tuesday, September 11, 2007, 5:43:22 PM, Lofton wrote:

LH> At 09:16 AM 9/11/2007 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:
LH> [...]
>>When cgm was registered as a MIME type in 1995, Brian DiAntonio from
>>Carberry Technology was the person who (apparently) knew about that stuff
>>and drove the registration, participating in the ATA GWG.  Chris was
>>involved as well

LH> I was thinking of Alan Francis (UK), whose name is on the registration.  I
LH> can't say for sure if Chris was involved.

I was involved, in that I was already on the IETF-types mailing list at that time, while at the Computer Graphics Unit in Manchester. Alan wrote it, I believe the UK Advisory Group on Computer Graphics (AGOCG) was the body that determined the registration was needed, and I read and commented on the draft before it was finalised.

LH>   The CGM MIME registration
LH> pre-dates the kickoff meeting of SVG by three years.  But he was already
LH> involved in graphics standards in the UK.

Yes, I was.

LH> You can see the list of contributors at the end of the registration:
LH> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/image/cgm

LH> I guess, since I'm listed, I can't escape the blame altogether.

LH> If you read the whole registration, a few things will pop out.  Like
LH> "WebCGM" is not valid for ProfileId!  (Because it is not an ISP.)

Ouch, interesting. At the time of the original registration, ISO was clearly seen as the only source of such standards.

It seems that a small update to the MIME registration would be useful and would not impact existing implementations, but wold legalise current practice.

LH>  It would
LH> be interesting to find out how to do maintenance/edit on a MIME
LH> registration.  (And also ... should we register WebCGM as an ISP, not so
LH> much to make it MIME-valid, but more so that it will have standing in ISO?)

I don't know how much work that is or wether it will help, but am interested to hear from those who have more experience with that aspect.

Are things like PIPs and so on ISPs?

LH> -Lofton.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group